YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world next to Google, but did you know about some of the other mind boggling numbers from your video activities?
If you thought that you watched lots of videos on YouTube, you’re not alone. Here’s a sample of jaw dropping statistics from the Broadcasting and Digital Engagement conference and shared via Google Press Room..
- YouTube reached over 700 billion playbacks in 2010
- Over 3 billion videos are viewed a day
- 800 M unique users visit YouTube each month
- Nearly 17 million people have connected their YouTube account to at least one social service (Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, Buzz, etc.)
- Users upload the equivalent of 240,000 full-length films every week
- 150 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook (up 2.5x year/year) and every minute, more than 500 tweets contain YouTube links (up 3x y/y)
- More than 50% of videos on YouTube have been rated or include comments from the community
YouTube’s video numbers and trends are astonishing enough but its good news for Google’s revenue stream too. Whilst you think you’re watching the most watched YouTube video of the year for free, someone is paying Google on hour behalf.
Google is expected to make over $1billion from ads this year according to Ben McOwen Wilson, Director of content partnerships. There’s a lot of financial opportunity for you if you’re one of Googles partners
- YouTube is monetising over 3 billion video views per week globally
- 98 of AdAge’s Top 100 advertisers have run campaigns on YouTube and the Google Display Network
- The number of advertisers using display ads on YouTube increased tenfold in the last year
Another interesting fact is that in the UK over 20% of us are watching YouTube videos from our mobile phones, and the crossover from PC usage to mobile phone usage will happen in 2013 if not before.
The PC – mobile broadcast landscape is changing – and it looks like its YouTube shaped all the way…
Eileen is a social business strategist, ZDNet columnist and author of Working The Crowd: Social Media Marketing for Business. Contact her to find out how she can help your business extend its reach.