Perhaps you should… Nominate your unsung heroines of the technology department..
THE SEARCH IS ON FOR TECHNOLOGY’S MOST INSPIRING WOMEN
Nominations open 01 September – 25 November 2011
The everywoman in Technology Awards seek to recognise and celebrate the success of women working in this fast-growth sector, encouraging more women into the industry and ultimately providing a pipeline of talent and future industry leaders.
Gender imbalance in technology is an issue of concern to business, government and education. While 47% of the UK workforce is female, only 18% of IT & Telecoms professionals are female, down from 22% in 2001. Likewise female representation within the IT & Telecoms industry as a whole is also on the decline, down from 27% in 2001 to 25% by the second quarter of this year.
e-skills UK, Technology Insights 2011
The statistics are quite alarming and suggest that women are not as well informed as they could be of the career opportunities technology offers. This points to the need for more inspiring female role models who can be ambassadors for the IT & Telecoms professions and industry, women who will encourage and inspire more young women and girls into technology. This Awards programme was created to showcase the diverse range of careers technology offers, profiling the women leading these exciting careers and also celebrating the businesses that are investing in their female talent.
The everywoman in Technology Awards are free to enter and the 2012 categories include:
- Rising Star – awarded to a woman under 26 who is excelling in her technology career and is the one to watch.
- Team Leader (in an SME with under 500 employees) – awarded to a woman whose team leadership has greatly contributed to the organisation’s success.
- Leader (in a corporate organisation with over 500 employees) – awarded to a women operating in a senior management position making a contribution to the strategic direction of the business.
- Innovator – awarded to a woman designing, developing, researching or implementing technology in an unconventional and innovative way.
- Entrepreneur – awarded to an owner/operator of a technology business whose vision and talent will inspire others.
- Inspiration – awarded to an individual (male or female) for their active commitment to encouraging, advancing or championing the progress of women working in technology.
- Woman of the Year – awarded to an exceptional woman whose vision, innovation and success makes her an outstanding role model for future generations.
Entries are open from 01 September until 25 November 2011 and full details are online at www.everywoman.com/techawards.
Image credit: flickr
Eileen is a social business strategist and author of Working The Crowd: Social Media Marketing for Business. Contact her to find out how she can help your business extend its reach.