All of them had examples of serious career limiting moves that had impacted them in the past.
Stacey had a great few leadership tips things that you should do and things that you definitely shouldn’t do. I’ve summed some of the conversation tips below:
- Don’t pass up a great career opportunity because you feel loyalty to your team
- Don’t miss the opportunity to get a mentor. Get a mentor who will challenge you – not agree with you.
- Don’t let yourself be bullied or intimidated. Speak out now. Others who get the same manager after you will thank you for your action to correct this,
- Don’t burn yourself out. No job is worth it. It’s your job not your life.
- Don’t post inappropriate pictures on Twitter. Twitter is far too public and screenshots of your photo are easy to do.
- Don’t bitch or flame anyone online. You will come to regret posting online.
- Don’t use the Reply all button in haste. Set a 10 minute delay in Outlook
- If someone gives you a day to ‘think things over’ make sure you ask for someone’s advice. Don’t chew it over by yourself, you’ll probably make the wrong decision the next day.
- Don’t try to go it alone. We all need help and advice – even on your own pet project.
- Don’t try and read absolutely everything that falls into your inbox or RSS reader. Your head will explode with all of the information you need to process. Filter the fire hose and get some time back in your life.
Good tips – I’ll be implementing them as soon as I can…
Image credit: Flickr
Eileen Brown is a social media consultant and author of Working The Crowd: Social Media Marketing for Business.
Contact her to find out how she can help your business extend its reach.