I was wondering why I couldn’t send a URL to my colleague the other day and thought that it was just a policy that we’d introduced internally. Then I remembered that this was a new feature for LCS 2005 which is designed to stop the propagation of IM virii.
SP1has lots of useful extras like this. You can download it here
Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 with SP1 further improves business efficiencies by enabling information workers to communicate and share presence information with contacts in real time through a security-enhanced, enterprise-grade, integrated environment.
Live Communications Server 2005 SP1 improves on the features of Live Communications Server 2005 by extending the federation model, enhancing functionality, increasing security, and improving performance and infrastructure support. These improvements include:
- Tools to enable Public IM Connectivity; the ability to add contacts, send instant messages, and share presence information with users of the three main public IM service providers MSN, AOL and Yahoo!.
- Enhanced federation, which uses DNS-SRV resolution to simplify connecting to federation partners.
- New optional spim filters for better control of unsolicited instant messages.
- Support Microsoft Office Communicator 2005.
- Support for multiple tree Active Directory forests.
- Improved server API performance.
SP1 Documentation on Office Online
Live Communications Server 2005 with Service Pack 1 Planning Guide
Live Communications Server 2005 Address Book Service Planning and Deployment Guide
Updating to Service Pack 1 and Enabling Public IM Connectivity
Live Communications Server 2005 with Service Pack 1 Feature Guide