The SMS 2003 Scripting Guide provides over 40 scripts, ranging from tasks such as creating advertisements to running queries. It explains the basics of SMS objects, WMI, and VBScript through a series of ‘How To’ examples. Each example has extensive and appropriate links to other resources, such as the SMS SDK, the WMI SDK, and the Windows 2000 Scripting Guide.
The Systems Management Server and Windows Update Services teams have combined their technologies to provide SMS customers with a new SMS security update scan tool for enterprise patch management: the Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates.
The SMS Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates enables customers to standardize on the latest Microsoft software update technology. Windows Update Services and the WSUSScan catalog contain patching support for all of the upcoming Microsoft Update/Windows Update products including Windows, Office, SQL Server, and Exchange. The inventory tool enables the following:
– Detection and deployment of the latest security updates, update rollups and service packs from Microsoft
– Improved patch management through a more comprehensive and more widely-supported detection technology
– Broader detection support for more Microsoft products
– Consistent product support across multiple detection technologies including parity with Automatic Updates
Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates is currently in development and is scheduled for release in the second half of 2005. The beta program for Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates is open for nominations. If you would like to participate, please visit the Microsoft BetaPlace site and follow the nomination instructions below.
Please note that:
Not all nominations for the Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates beta program can be accepted due to a limited number of spaces in the program.
We would ask that you only nominate your company for evaluation of Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates if you are willing to provide feedback to Microsoft. We consider customer feedback from Beta programs critical to our ability to successfully deliver a product that meets customer needs. If your interest is just in learning more about Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates, please keep checking this Web site over coming months for new product information.
To obtain access to the beta:
1. Go to the Microsoft Betaplace site and sign in with your Microsoft .Net Passport ID. If you don’t have a Passport account, you will need to first complete a Passport registration.
2. Enter the Guest ID “SMSInvite” (this ID is case-sensitive).
3. Click on the Systems Management Server 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates link.
4. Click on the Nomination link on the left side of the page.
5. Fill out and submit the nomination form.
After Jonathans gentle reminder that I’ve been speculating too much on the short forms of Indy’s new name (CapMan) and correcting me appropriately (Thanks Jonathan), So System Center Reporting Manager 2006 has been announced at MMS. I’m actually going to leap straight in with my assumption about RepMan (not SCRM!) I’m pleased to note that the schema will be exposed, so custom ad hoc queries and reports can be created. You can also modify the schema, which is a nice change from the SMS schema which you can’t view
There were lots of other announcements at MMS (which I didn’t go to unfortunately, but have a look at JH’s blog for the full spiel.
PS – I’m jealous about the conference bag. I wish I’d gone there now…