I’ve just discovered a new tool for Instant Messaging. This is a little bit different if you’re used to corporate IM or web based IRC. You don’t need to work at the same company or be online on MSN Messenger or Yahoo! messenger. This IM chat works and lets your Twitter followers chat to you.
its called Nurph. Here’s a screenshot
Information is picked up from Twitter – which uses OAuth to get your credentials. If you shut the window down, you’ll need to use OAuth again. I like this. I’m more confident that the app isn’t using my data for other means…
To talk to someone – just type their name ad hit GO..
Now there’s a fair few limitations to Nurph at the moment which Neil assures me he’s working on – but some of these are:
- An invite button next to the Go button – so I don’t need to leave the web page and go back to Twitter to organise a chat
- A list of people I follow who are already online so I can invoke a chat conversation
- Threaded conversation – for busy chatting sessions
- Pause button – when there’s a huge amount of chatter and you need to respond to questions
- Sidebar gadget for Vista / Win 7
- You can’t lurk in a chat
- You can’t stumble on chats
- You need to organise chats.
Apart from that I think there’s some potential here – for some community chatting and connecting to people for one off IM conversations outside of the 140 character limit that Twitter imposes on you.
I’ll be playing with it over the next few days – so if you find me online – stop by at my channel http://nurph.com/eileenb and say hi…
Eileen Brown is the CEO at Amastra and Author of Working The Crowd: Social Media Marketing for Business. She also writes the Social Business column for ZDNet.
Amastra energises your social media strategy: to connect with your customers, identify influencers and gain advocates for your brand.
We work with you to enhance collaboration in the workplace and make your business social.
We help you implement social tools that change the way you connect and work.
We transform social engagement, improving satisfaction and perception about your brand.
We forge your vibrant community, amplify your message and improve the quality of your connection to your customers.
We develop your social strategy, customer reach and online branding.
We enhance communication and connections across workgroups in your organisation.
If you are losing opportunities as you do not have an effective engagement framework, crisis plan or social media strategy, call us. Amastra can help you change the way you connect.
Get your social media strategy right. First time.
Get in touch:
Book: Working the Crowd: Social Media Marketing for Business
Subscribe to our Newsletter. Sign up here:
URL’s personal… on Google + may charge you for yo… John Breakwell on Why I hate Internet cooki… Tony on Sex, Tattoos and iPhone a… eileenb on Why I hate Internet cooki… Rafal Lukawiecki on Why I hate Internet cooki…
Search my previous blog entries
- How to have the best videoconferences: Top tips, tricks and best practices so you can hold interesting and awe... zd.net/1dwQqd2 6 hours ago
- Wish folks with sneezes and diseases would wear a hospital mask - keeping their germs to themselves. Ugh.. 1 day ago
- Eating home made momofuku cornflake crunch choc chip cookies. Totally fab with my coffee in front of the fire :-) 1 day ago
- Twitter moves in on Storify with Custom Timelines in Tweetdeck: Twitter has added a great new feature to its T... bit.ly/J6efyN 2 days ago
- But the horns? RT @piersmorgan: > Pope Francis is TIME’s Person of the Year for 2013 ti.me/18lOjuP #TIMEPOY http://t.co/L3lgwhQvNk 2 days ago
Blog Branding Business Collaboration Community Design Events Exchange Facebook Fun Inspiration Internet Leadership Management Marketing Mobile Off topic Online Brand Privacy Self Development Social Business Social Commerce Social Media Social Networking Strategy Technology Twitter Uncategorized Whimsy women in Technology
Site infoEileen's Social Technology
The Andreas04 Theme.